Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Why does the lower unit on my alpha one come up on its own?

Customer Question

why does the lower unit on my alpha one come up on its own? The trim switch on the shift lever activates on it's own, I can here the unit moving(the buzzing noise it always makes)
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The usual issue here is the switch is shorting internally or the wire are chaffed in the handle from the handle moving back and firth.

The trim handle has to be removed and the switch and wiring inspected.

Could I get the engine serial number please?

Now we can eliminate the trim switch and the wiring by unplugging the harness at the trim pump.

Do you know which control you have? Is this Quicksilver 3000 series or something else? Does this look like your control or similar? http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3686&d=1325103251

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The yellow arrow points to where the trim switch connects to the trim pump. Unplug the harness from this connection. Does the trim still operate on it's own?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is not my control. I have a ALPHA ONE, SERIAL NO: engine OF023026, Transom OF084823, Drive OD887753,
How do I remove the handle to check wires?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Did you unplug the harness at the trim pump?

Does your control look similar? Do you have the button on the middle of the handle? I can't tell what kind of control you have by the engine the boat manufacturer puts the controls in the boats not the engine manufacturer. Some used after market controls some used Quicksilver. I need to know the make and model of your control to know how to remove the handle.

Can you post a pic if you don't know the make and model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My boat is a 1993 Bayliner Capri ID BIYB13CZB393 engine no OF023026 How do I remove the control handle to inspect the wires?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

That still doesn't tell me the model of the control.

I will guess this is the type control. This doesn't look like your control but this is the procedure for removing the control handle. This is the 3000 series control they are all the same for removal of the handle.

http://i.imgur.com/5z6mlzc.jpg