Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I own a Zuma Sailboat. The bracket that holds the rudder has

Customer Question

I own a Zuma Sailboat. The bracket that holds the rudder has come loose. The screws are stripped. I assume there is some sort of bracket on the other side of the fiberglass but there is no way to get access. Can you recommend what I can do to lock in the bracket to secure the rudder.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my cell phone number(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is anybody going to help me? (###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has been three days and no one has contacted me. is there anyone that can help?
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I am just seeing if you still need assistance with this problem? The reason I ask is because I see that your question has not been answered sooner and I wanted to make sure if you still needed help.

In some cases a question may sit due to several different reasons. My objective that I wish is to make sure that if you still need help that I can at the very least reach out to you and attempt to help you.

At this time please feel free when you are ready to reply back to me and ask to continue working with me, another expert or if you no longer need help please just let me know exactly what you wish to do.

Thanks,
Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
far my experience with Just Ask has been very frustrating.Yes I would like an answer to my question. Can you please call to discuss or send me the answer asap.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

The fasteners that came out, were they screws/pointed or bolts?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bolts.I replaced them with screws which are a little bigger (wider) as the bolts slid in and out.
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Ok, that makes sense and is what I expected, I just wanted to see if you used larger bolts or changed to screws. I do not have the schematics of this hull but when bolts are used they do one of two things or both, They either put a plate in with nuts welded/tapped to it or they set nuts in the glass during production and they become part of the hull. If they are stripped/damaged it would require cutting the area out and replacing/making a repair and then reglassing that area again. In terms of sealant, use 3m 5200 slow cure not fast cure. The 3rd way is a plate on the back side of the glass and nuts, in some cases the area is not easily accessible and or requires cutting the deck to access if there are no access areas.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.