Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I replaced the 2 tack hourmeter gauges on my 2001 searay 380

Customer Question

I replaced the 2 tack hourmeter gauges on my 2001 searay 380 sundancer 8.1 gas engines
now how do I advance the hours on new gauges to move them 280 hours more
I tried connecting to a positive lead to ignition and sending terminal and a neg to ground terminal and it powers up but hourmeter does not move forward
please tell me what I need to do to get hours advanced so gauges read correctly
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The tachometer/hour meter is looking for an actual tachometer signal, which is an AC waveform, and not the DC that you get straight from the battery. If you want to advance the hour meter what you can do is jump it to a battery charger. Chargers "leak" AC when they charge. So what you can do is get a small battery charger, jump a wire between positive and S (signal wire). Hook up charger negative to G, charger + to S, flip it on he lowest setting, and what you will see is the tach needle just to between 3k and 4k rpms, and the hour meter will start ticking away. Let it sit 11 1/2 days, and it will read approximately 280 hours.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have it hooked up to a regulated 12 volt powe supply
And 12 volts going to the send and
Ignition terminals with no advancing
Just hours showing on meter and a small sideways hour glass on left of hours
Anything more I can do
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you using a power supply that you would hook up sensitive electronics to, or just a basic battery charger?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just a 12 volt power supply
Not a battery charger
Do I need to get a battery charger for this to work as you say or is the power supply the same
I have used this power supply to power up 12 volt radios at home
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You need a charger,just a cheapo battery charger. Just as an example (and you can google this if you like). I also have a power supply, a higher end one, made by a company called BK Precision. (It is a higher quality one). The difference between a power supply and a battery charger is AC Leakage. A battery is straight DC. An alternator in a boat makes AC, which is rectified into DC, but a little bit of AC always leaks through the rectifier, and that can be measured in AC Milliivolts if you have a meter capable of reading it. And the battery simply absorbs that ac leakage. It is not a lot, maybe 1 quarter of 1 volt AC (or 250 millivolts).

Batteries can tolerate AC leakage so the rectifiers in battery chargers are not expensive components. And they all leak AC.

Sensitive electronics can not tolerate AC, so they use higher quality components inside of actual power supplies.

Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will get a charger tomorrow
And hook it up and be back to you
Tomorrow at around this time
Thanks
Jake mandel
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome Jake. The key here is nothing fancy. I have a small 1980's craftsman charger that was a hand me down that I use. Also, questions never close out, so if you have a further question on this tomorrow you can always reply back even after doing the ratings.

Thanks again,

Jason