Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 6 cylinder diese] motor it has not been stared 10

Customer Question

I have a 6 cylinder diese] motor it has not been stared for over 10 years what will I have to do to get it running it sits in a 8.7 meter boat
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Will need to go over the entire vessel and all systems including safety checks, once everything is checked you would clean each system out and this includes draining and replacing the fuel, filters and cleaning the fuel system as needed. With it sitting for that long know that it is possible for seals and gaskets to dry out and what can happen once in use again is those can fail to the point of in some cases needing complete overhaul of an engine. Going though each system includes the cooling systems and replacing the raw water impellers and thermostats. All fluids would be changed.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.