Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 1973 22' searay boat is charging over 20 volts it has

Customer Question

my 1973 22' searay boat is charging over 20 volts it has 188hp motor
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Who makes the engine in the boat? Can I get a make/model/serial number on that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a ford 188 hp 1973 302
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Is it a Mercruiser setup or OMC? The electrical systems are all different so I need to know exactly what you have

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a MerCruiser
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. The voltage regulator is part of the alternator. The best thing to do if you have a shop that does it would be to have that alternator rebuilt. Do you have anyplace that does starter/alternator repair near where you live?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is only a Powerware in a gram where they go see the alternator are you sure the regulator is inside the alternator
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It's not showing a separate regulator in the parts diagram. The factory Mercruiser alternator is no longer made. But an aftermarket company called Sierra makes one. It is Sierra part number 18-5951. And the replacement alternator does have an internal voltage regulator.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Click this link below, this is the alternator.

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-18-5951-Remanufactured-Alternator/dp/B00027GZ7S

Do you have any further questions on this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I where that is or another wire with the red and the black
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Black goes to ground. And the red would connect to the same stud on the starter motor that the main battery cable connects to.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I had an old Chevy alternator I could try that to see if that works with just two wires
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

As long as it physically fits you could try it. The biggest difference with these things is the actual shape of it, and how it bolts to the engine block and brackets, and how the belt lines up. That's why I would see if you have an electrical motor repair shop where you live, if you do just have your alternator rebuilt, it would cost about 1/2 of a new one. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If there was anything else by all means ask. If not, please let me know if you have any problems when trying to put through a rating for me.

Thanks again,

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm on my way to get it tested
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay, good luck!

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason