Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I own a 8 9.8 Tohatsu Outboard. 2 stroke Manual start ran

Customer Question

i own a 8 9.8 Tohatsu Outboard. 2 stroke
Manual start
ran well until a couple of weeks ago.
I had been storing it in a dock box lying on side for about a week. Did so 2 times. May not be relevant.
Started trying to start yesterday. Would run at idle and higher rpm but cut out about every 2 minutes or less. Sounded like fuel starvation.
I drained the 6 gal portable plastic tank and replaced the gas with new mid octane gas and added 2 cycle oil at 1:50 ratio.
I checked the fuel filter and it is working. i am getting gas to the fuel pump and gas is in the carb bowl.
I disassembled the carb and checked for ethanol residue, I found none. I checked the float and valve needle and they were operating freely. I reassembled the card and reinstalled.
The engine starts , but only when i advance the throttle to full, with no choke. When it starts and i close the throttle, it runs for a while and then starts to die. I can rev it up and get it running strong again, but soon it wants to die. I can keep it running a couple of minutes by continuing to rev it, but it will not run at idle. I adjusted the needle valve with no noticeable change. Left it at 2 1/2 turns from seated.
Cooling water is strong and engine is not hot.
So: in summary,
new gas
new gas line
new gas line quick connect
new engine gas line connector
fuel is visible in filter ( i could blow thru filter)
opened fuel pump and checked for residue. none found.
starts only at open throttle
shuts down at open throttle and idle after a short time
I have a charity event tomorrow that's a dinghy poker run. Things are looking bleak. What are my next steps?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Did you remove any jets when you had the carb torn down/?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you on line now?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am now. How can I assist you?