Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have a 1976 Grady with a omc out drive. The engine is a

Customer Question

I have a 1976 Grady white with a omc out drive. The engine is a used merc ford 302 with omc manifolds. The engine will start and idle and go into gear on land with a hose connected. When in the water it stalls instantly when put in gear
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

You would want to start by checking spark for weakness/misfires, fuel pressure/flow, carb settings/adjustments, compression, vacuum/air leaks, etc. As well as the drive shift cable. The problem you are experiencing is usually related to the drive shift cable being bad/stiff or the shaft. Overall shift cables should be checked for binding as well as at the plate and lube the plate as needed, lower cable if binding does need replaced and is not to be lubed. And yes this will usually only occur in water while under a load and not out of the water as there is no load on the prop.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.