Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 2005 150 Mercury Optimax with a broken tensioner

Customer Question

I have a 2005 150 Mercury Optimax with a broken tensioner spring retaining boss that is part of the block. There are obviously others that have had the same problem. Can this be successfully tig Welded? Since there are other retaining boss grooves, can the spring be replaced so one of the other unbroken boss grooves be utilized? What are your thoughts on a using a heavy duty metal ring or hose clamp type devise with a hole that the end of the spring can be inserted through or secured in?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Yes it can be welded but be sure it is done by a professional as if excess heat is applied it may damage the block. Also make sure you remove nearby components and cover with aluminium sheets the fuel system and all wiring.

If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While the input that the part of the block on my Mercury 150 Optimax that holds the tension belt can be welded by an experienced welder, I am looking for additional input. The part of the block that holds the tensioner spring in place by way of a grove
or Boss, has several grooves or Bosses around the circular part of the block. Can a replacement spring or modified spring by used that will allow the end of the spring to fit one of the other grooves or Boss area. To me it is a much simpler fix than welding
a piece of the block back on with no guarantee it will last.

Can you send me a pic of the broken part

Noel