Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Really in a big mess here. Tried to pull my Bravoto solve a

Customer Question

Hi
Really in a big mess here.
Tried to pull my Bravo*****to solve a minor gear oil leak in the upper housing.
Have tried almost every trick in the biggest book around.
Of course I have removed all 6 nuts, bolts, props and that stuff, but it only moves like 0.1in on one side.
This after doing:
Using the 2x4 at the top.
Lifting and dropping,
2x4 and a hammer,
2x4 and using the tilt to jam it against the gimbal,
unscrewing the engine bolts to see if moving the engine helps,
Used a lot of PB the every place I can reach, inside to shaft, outside round bolts and where it should parted.
Still top left corner(from back of the boat) is stuck and has not moved a bit. Right side about .1in.
Boat is on a lift so not being able to move it anywhere easily.
I bought the boat 2years ago, and my guess the drive has not been of since new..... (2004)
Anyone got any tip to share???
Thank you!!!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have something like a standard 5 or 10 ton boat lift, with aluminum/steel beams on top of pilings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Jardar(Jay).
Yes, it's a standard 8K lift with Alu beams.
Boat is a Rinker 232.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jardar,

I'll be honest you picked a heck of a job to try and do on a lift. If you can I would personally put the sterndrive nuts back on, and drive/tow the boat to shore where you can get it on a trailer.

If you can not... The sterndrive is sticking for 1 of 3 reasons.

1. Engine is out of alignment, pushing down on the input shaft, causing it to pinch.

2. The sterndrive input shaft is rusted to the gimbal bearing, this happens then the bellow tear and the boat is left to sit.

3. The stenrdrives input shaft is rusted to he engine coupler.

Those are the only 3 possibilities. f you want to try doing this on a lift what you would need to do is get a few 4x4's and some through bolts and make yourself a beam you can throw on top of the boat lift beams horizontially. From there you can attach a come-a-long to the beam. Loosen up the motor mounts on the engine. And then try lifting up on the engine a little bit, especially the rear of it. Sometimes that will do it. If it wont do it then the shaft is rusted to either the coupler or gimbal bearing (or both) and if that is the case you have to get in behind the engine with a sawzall and cut the input shaft and then try pulling. If it still won't come out then it is rusted to the gimbal bearing, and you would remove the engine and then hammer out what is left of the input shaft to drive the sterndrive and gimbal bearing out.

I've done this quite a few times, it is a bit of work.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason