Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1978 Carver Mainer 3396, new engines were installed

Customer Question

I have a 1978 Carver Mainer 3396, new engines were installed that were both the same rotation. The problem is the rotation has caused the starboard engine to operate in reverse for forward propulsion. The vessel has velvet drives is there remedy? changing the propeller pitch which would cause the props to rotate in the same. Change the velvet drive? Change the engine? Also would the rotation of the engine restrict the alternator charging? Lots of problems caused by purchasing wrong engine I am told. The engine change over was part of a class project by a boat building school.
Any help? not sure the sizes of prop on the vessel will have to dry dock to find out
Jeff Starling ***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jeff, my name is Jason.

I don't quite understand your problem. You wrote "The problem is the rotation has caused the starboard engine to operate in reverse for forward propulsion."

Is the shifter simply backwards?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they tell me both engines are the same rotation causing the starboard engine velvet drive to operate in reverse for forward the engines should have been purchased with opposite crank rotation?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I still don't understand what your question actually is.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Do you understand how the velvet drive works in regards ***** ***** rotation or do you need a primer on that?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?