Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1986 century palomino 170 mercruiser, the problem

Customer Question

I have a 1986 century palomino 170 mercruiser, the problem im having is the voltage regulator at idle starts out at 12 volts and after about 25 seconds the volt meter goes up to 15 volts you can see it increase. Now the probem im facing is i bought a new stator for boat and in the process of removing the old one the wire that goes from regulator to starter selnoid the yellow wire is loose on terminal and i can t remove because it is striped and just spins can i cut wire and put on opposit terminal on starter selenoid or is that yellow wire only to stay at present location and do you bekieve that is the root cause for the increase in voltage or do you believe it is the voltage
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If the voltage is over 15 the problem is the voltage regulator, and not the stator.

That being said, a new mercury regulator is 1000 bucks. An aftermarket part is 500. Or you can convert this to an alternator for 300 bucks which is way more reliable than the stator/regulator setup. Are you aware of the alternator option for this engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think the problem with the wire to stater selenoid that is loose and can t tighten could be the problem and if so can i put yellow wire on opposite side screw terminal
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i mean starter not stater
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm a bit confused. This wire. Are you talking about the main lug on the starter motor where the battery cable connects?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you are not sure can you take a picture of what you are looking at for me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no not the center bolt where the main charging terminal but adjacent to it there are 2 small terminal screws where one yellow wire from voltage goes to and the other terminal in blank, theres nothing on it the terminal size is approx. one eighth of an inch thick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i want to know is could that loose wire from voltage reg to starter selonoid be the problem because it is not snug and is a little loose and if i can transfer that yellow line over to the other side of selenoid where there is a blank terminal , theres nothing on it?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

A poor connection anywhere can cause a voltage spike, so to answer that question yes it definitely can do it. You can just cut and splice the 2 wires together to see if it still does it or not. If no, it was just the connection, if yes the voltage regulator would still be bad. (and replacing it all with the alternator is still the best option)

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i cut the yellow wire and put on the other side of main terminal where there nothing it won t harm the regulator or selenoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i say terminal i mean terminal on starter selonid
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hmmm..... when you say yellow there should be no straight yellow wire. There are 2 different wiring schemes for this engine. The charge output wire on the voltage regulator would either be orange.... Or red with a white stripe. Is there any chance you are looking at an orange wire that has faded into yellow? If you are not sure, I don't obviously want to tell you the wrong thing. Could you get me pictures of your setup?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no its dark out now but i put voltage regulator in about 2 to 3 years ago. The voltage regulator has two wires coming from it one is the armature and the other is the field and im pretty sure the wire going to starter selenoid is yellow with a red or black stripe on that that is screwed onto the starter selenoid.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Can you open PDF files if I send you something?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm attaching a file to this response. Let me know which wire you are talking about.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Did you get the diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the yellow red wire that fastens to starter selenoid, can that be switched to other blank side of starter selrnoid what id like to do is cut wire from terminal that is stripped of threds and put on other side of selnoid of starter motor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
theres nothing mounted on the other side of the starter selenoid
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The yellow/red wire at the starter solenoid is the start wire to the solenoid. It does not have anything to do with the charging system. It is only for the starting system. So you want to leave it where it is.

Was there anything else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks for everything
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome and I was glad I could help. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason