Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I just got a Merc Model 25 2-stroke outboard that has been

Customer Question

I just got a Merc Model 25 2-stroke outboard that has been stored on its left side for several years. What precautions do i need to take before attempting to start it? Thanks!
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The only thing you would want to do is pull the plugs out and use a teaspoon or so of 2 stroke oil in each cylinder, spin it over a few times by hand. And then when you go to run it, use double oil. So instead of premixing at 50 to 1, premix at 25 to 1 Which is going to be 5 ounces of oil per gallon of gas. The other thing to keep in mind is if it has been sitting for years, it will likely need its' cooling system serviced, which means a new impeller and thermostat.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cool, thanks. I was worried the oil from the lower unit could get up into the upper unit. I will follow your advice and get it a shot tonite. I'd like to leave the question open until i get the motor figured out one way or the other, but i will be sure to close the ticket when we are done. Thanks for your help, i will get back to you later
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Questions never close out. So you can reply back as needed, even after doing the ratings.

Thanks again,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason