Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have an 86 evinrude 175 V6, bottom 2 cylinders on left

Customer Question

Hi, I have an 86 evinrude 175 V6, bottom 2 cylinders on left bank are not firing, I have a spark tester and a stevens CD77, tested the stator and timer base,they read good, battery is fully charged. I have swapped the power packs from one side of the motor to the other and the problem remains on the left, I have swapped a coil that was firing on the right side to the left on the problem cylinder and it does not fire, spark plug leads are good, Coils are CDI;s and fairly new, Called CDI about resistance values on colis and they are close. I have pulled the black stop/kill wires off the power packs and results are same, I have a remote starter switch and with the ignition key off or on the results are the same, I took the power pack leads on left side and tried each one individually, top cylinder on left side fires, other two lowers do not
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If you have a CD77 this should be relatively simple. What are you getting for voltage at the ignition coils with the engine running?

Also, when you say they are not firing. Are they actually not sparking, or do you mean something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine will not start, I have a remote starter switch, I have a spark tester installed at 7/16 air gap, NO spark on bottom left 2 cylinders, I have swapped power packs and coils form left side to right, Works on the right but not the left, Spark plug leads are good
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I tried accepting your phone call request but it says your payment failed. This will usually happen if you used paypal instead of a credit card.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The engine should still start running on the other 4 cylinders. So there is something else wrong on top of the lack of spark on those 2 cylinders.

What is the story on this engine? When did it last run, and how old is the gas?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ran 3 weeks ago, fuel is good , compression is good, could not get full throttle, I have rebuilt the carbs already
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Will it run or at least hit on starting fluid?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?