Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I want to find out about the fuel fume detector. I came back

Customer Question

I want to find out about the fuel fume detector. I came back from fishing yesterday on one 8.1 V8 motor. one motor loast reves whist i was at 3500rpm. There was no sign of unusual temperature or oil pressure. I turned the engine off thinking something was seriously wron and couldnt get the motor to restart. Sounded as though the starter motor was engaged and it just made a thump noise when it turned on the ignition. The circular lights on the controla panel whent through their normal rotation but the fuel sensor light had come on. There was no fumes in the engine bay.
Any ideas of where i should start to look
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess the fume detector is possibly a safety devise for when fumes are detected. It has light up before but there was no sense of smell of petrol fumes at all.
The main issue is the motor wont start as it sounds as though the starter motor is jammed. it was very very hot when i turned the motor off. dont know where to start to look at the problem
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The fume detector will go off if there are any fumes of any kind in the engine compartment, not just the smell of raw gas. So if there is an exhaust gas leak, or electrical fire, it will go off. The fume detector however will not shut the engine down. If the starter will not spin the engine over there are a couple of things you need to do in order to start. First, check voltage at the starter while somebody else holds the key to start and energizes the start. Voltage needs to be 9.5V or better. If it is low, check voltage at the batteries. And then check to make sure the battery cables are not loose, corroded, or burnt.

If voltage is 9.5V or better. The next step would be to remove the spark plugs and see if the engine will spin over by hand. You would want to see if the engine is hydrolocked or blown before buying a new starter for it.

That is where you need to start. Does that make sense? Do you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you do have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, there will be further questions but it is raining here today nd we can not do anything at all so we'll just have to wait a day or so to sort this out. sorry for the delay but hang in there
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No problem, there are no time limits here, just reply back when you are ready and we can go from there.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason