Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1964 Evinrude 4 horsepower outboard motor with nged

Customer Question

I have a 1964 Evinrude 4 horsepower outboard motor with hinged lower unit in a carrying case that is NIB. Never been in the water?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

I don't quite understand your question. Are you asking what it is worth, or something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is it worth?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

250 to 300 in running condition. Maybe 400 to a collector that tinkers with these. The problem with the engine is it's not old enough to be any kind of collectors item, you have to get down into the 1930's and earlier for that. And on the flip side it is to old to really be considered a reliable engine. It is going to need some work to get it up and running. And when it is up and running, should it ever break down it is going to be quite the hunt to find parts for. If you could get 250+ for it as is I would be happy with that. If you find the right person out there who is looking for this very ouboard you might be able to get a few more dollars for it. But it's not a collectable, and to old to be a reliable daily runner, so it would take a tinker'er to keep it maintained.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what should I do before running this motor? I want to use it on my duck boat.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It would need a new impeller before trying to start it. After that mix up some fuel an oil at 25 to 1 just to get things lubricated again for the first tank of gas. After that you can go back to 50 to 1 on a fuel/oil ratio.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason