Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I am considering installing a Garmin echoMAP 73DV on my

Customer Question

I am considering installing a Garmin echoMAP 73DV on my Tahoe Q4i. Since it is a stern drive, I understand that the transducer shouldn't be installed on the transom. Therefore, I guess I will need to install it on my trolling motor. The problem is that my trolling motor shaft slides through bushings in a housing, so I can't tie the cable to the shaft except at the top and bottom, causing a lot of slack in the cable. Is this detrimental to the operation of the unit?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

It wouldn't be detrimental to the operation, but continued flexing of that coax cable will eventually cause it to fail. There really is no reason to not mount it on the transom, try and avoid mounting it in an area where anything forward of it on the hull will disturb the water before it gets to the transducer and you should be fine.