Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2000 outboard engine quit put on new CDI box went ran good

Customer Question

2000 johnson outboard engine quit put on new CDI box went for ride ran good for 15minutes then tach went crazy engine started dropping cylinders. kept dying
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What is the model number on the engine?

Do you have a decent quality volt/ohm meter, and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can get meter but not with boat now it is on my houseboat out to lake
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

What is the model number on the engine? If you don't have that what size is it. You wrote it was a 2000 Johnson.. Johnson made many different models/sizes in 2000

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is ***** ***** # ***** ***** j60elss04856892 year 2000
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all i could think of is stator or rectifier
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had no spark at all on motor befor I changed out cdi box . I know its right box because I have maching motors (twin outboards) and I took cdi of other motor that runs good
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Val,

The charging system and the ignition system both get their voltages from the stator, which is under the flywheel. The tachometer gets its signal from the charging system as well. The rectifier would not cause the engine to run poorly, but the stator will.

What you (or I) would do is disconnect the stator wires from both the powerpack and the rectifier. Start by measuring the resistance between brown to brown/yellow, and then if the engine has quickstart, orange to orange/black. Both sets of wires should measure in the 450 to 550 ohm ballpark. Next, measure between the 2 yellow wires. That should measure just under an ohm. all sets of windings need to be good in order for the stator to pass. If any is a fail you would replace the stator. Also, before ordering any parts. If the stator is a fail remove the flywheel and check for cracked magnets. Cracked magnets can cause the stator to output to much voltage, which kills everything. It kills the stator, cdi/powerpack, and recitifier. If it does have cracked mags you would have to replace all 3 components. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that. i did pull the stator off to inspect it and it did have cracking on insulation on wires I ohmed them but did not find it grounding between each other but have not performed your test
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Cracking on the insulation is a sign the stator has overheated, so any kind of cracking or melting means the stator is shot. I don't know how you want to leave this but that is where you stand and what you want to look for. I think that should do it. I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
K I will give it a try and get back to you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Thank you. Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?