Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Sea Ray won't start

Customer Question

Sea Ray won't start
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can you be more specific about what the engine is doing? When you turn the key to start, is the engine cranking over but not starting. Or is it not cranking at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn on bats and put key in - it says bat ok, psi ok, temp ok - then I try and hit start button - and it try's to turn over but - it just won't start - I opened engine hatch to look - but can't see anything as I am not a mechanic - I do notice when I try and start engine the belt won't even try and turn- some guy here said the starter is not connecting with the crankshaft - - we had the starter replaced under warranty a year ago by marine max
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. When you hit the start button is there any noises or whirring coming from the engine compartment at all?

Also, when was the last time it did start?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a whirling wind type of sound from the engine...
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. The whirring is the stator motor spinning. When was the last time the engine started? When was the last time you used the boat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 2-3 months no problem with itthen
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. The whirring is low voltage to the starter. More than likely it is either a weak or a bad battery. Do you have a handheld volt meter in order to test it?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Battery is fine tried using two jump packs to start - same result
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Not necessarily. If you have a bad battery with a dead cell, hooking up a jump pack or a set of jumper cables what is going to happen is voltage from the jumper is going to want to charge the battery, and not make it's to the starter. I'm not saying it is your problem. But it does need to be checked. Do you have a hand held volt meter and do you know how to take basic voltage measurements?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No don't gave that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have*
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Without a meter there is nothing for us to test. If I were in your shoes I would go and get a brand new battery, install it, and see what happens. That is all you can do at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The boat said 12.4 volts though digitally
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

That is voltage at the keyswitch. What matters is voltage at the starter with the starter engaged.

This stuff is all testable, but you would have to have a meter and know how to take voltage measurements. Without a meter all we can do is talk about it.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If you want to try some things without a meter to see if you can get it going you could also try removing the battery cables, sanding down the ends until they are clean and shiny, sanding down the battery posts until those are clean. And then try it. Corrosion adds electrical resistance in a circuit. Resistance keeps voltage from reaching the starter. If you have a battery switch in the boat you can also try taking that out of the loop. Running the battery directly to the starter. If you want to try some things before calling in the mechanic, those are things you can try.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, just checking in,, any progress?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason