Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Concept 3 windlass appears "dead". I can hear a solenoid

Customer Question

Concept 3 windlass appears "dead". I can hear a solenoid clicking under the deck but no life in the motor. Voltage at the motor contacts is 0 when control switch is activated and the click from the solenoid is heard. Any suggestions?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This may take more than one reply to solve your issue.

Check the voltage at the battery cable red in diagram going to the solenoid. Do this when activating the switch. Do you have voltage? Check with black test lead connected to the black cable and red test lead to the red cable. The black and red are in the pic I need you to test for voltage.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Here is diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately I haven't located the solenoid. I hear it engage beneath the deck when switch is engaged. Have tried to locate it but it is not currently accessible to me.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Can you have a friend activate the solenoid when you are looking for it. The solenoid is usually very close to the windlass motor.

What I am trying to determine is if we have voltage to the solenoid. The switch will send voltage to activate the solenoid and it will click but if you don't have voltage to the large cables the windlass will not operate. So clicking doesn't tell us we are getting voltage to the solenoid. Do you know of a circuit breaker to the windlass main power supply?

Can you check battery voltag on the battery that supplies voltage to the windlass. You could have a corroded connection at the battery or a dead battery.