Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

How do I determine if my volvo penta 5.7 manifold risers

Customer Question

How do I determine if my volvo penta 5.7 manifold risers have failed
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

The easiest way without taking anything apart is by measuring their temperature when the engine is warmed up using an infra red temperature gun. Even a cheapie 20 dollar harbor freight one will do. What you want to do is scan the and get an average temperature. The risers should run cooler than the engine. A brand new set will probably measure in the 110F range. As they wear and tear and clog up with rust, the temps will go up. If they get to the point when they are 160F or hotter then it is time to pull them for replacement. Also, when doing this is, it is normal to see 1 side 20 degrees hotter or so. So if you get a reading of say 130 on one side and 150 on the other, that would be normal.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A farther inspection of the area shows the elbow overheated and the bellows opened causing a continuous water leak. There is no water on the oil dip stick and the engine will turn over. I have a new bellows to install, but I have to be hauled out. The bellows is below the water line. As you can see, the elbow paint has been over heated.
1. Should I buy a new elbow or can I put on the bellows with the elbow like that.
2. If that is ok then I can change the riser in the water. (the temp probe is broken off on the riser)The haul out that is available is only for 4 hours then I must go back in the water. I did want to haul out today and then need another haul out to change the elbow.Please advise on the complete repair.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about the part in the picture with the zip tie and the plastic target bag, is that where it is leaking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the plastic bag with zip ties are slowing the water leak from the rubber bellows (item 21). The elbow (item 19) also shows signs of over heat with all the paint bubbling. The hose (item 7) from elbow to the riser is cracked from the heat. The riser electric probe separated from the riser and the wire is hanging to the side. I assumed that probe is a temp sensor.
I only have on hand is the bellows and hose.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Listing of the parts that failed
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

To answer one part of your question the boat will have to be hauled out to replace that lower bellow. If you try and pop that off with the boat in the water, water will rush in faster than the pumps can keep up with it, and the boat will sink, so it definitely has to come out.

As to why that area melted. Usually it's a lack of water flow all together that does that. When was the last time the impeller was changed out?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you still with me?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, just checking in. I noticed no rating has been put through yet so I wanted to make sure that you did not have any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website has already charged you, but they will not credit me unless you put through a rating for me. If you had any further questions on the issue by all means feel free to ask.

Thanks,
Jason