Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have inherited a Mercury Classic 50, 4 cyl 2 stroke and am

Customer Question

I have inherited a Mercury Classic 50, 4 cyl 2 stroke and am wondering how or if it could be put on a pontoon boat. Specifically throttle and steering issues.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Sure it could. That engine uses through the tilt tube steering, a normal steering cable goes through the tube in the front of the engine. Controls are just like any other engine. Either a side mount control or binnacle mount will work depending on the console on the pontoon boat.

There should be a Coast Guard capacity plate on the boat telling you the maximum horsepower and loading, you don't want to exceed that. Also make sure the transom mounting is in excellent condition. Many boats used plain plywood that has rotted over the years.

Since you have little experience I would let the shop rig the boat for you.

You will also need a propeller designed for the pontoon boat. I would suggest using the propeller finder programs from Turning Point Propellers, www.turningpoint.com or Mercury Marine, www.mercurymarine.com

Let me know if I can help further.

Thanks