TIMOTO
TIMOTO, Mechanic
Experience:  Former Kawasaki pwc tech. current Honda pwc tech.
8313095

I have a honda aquatrax 4 cylinder turbo, rpms are ok but

Customer Question

I have a honda aquatrax 4 cylinder turbo, rpms are ok but will not accelerate over 8 mph.
whats the issue
Category: Boat
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

If the engine revs ok but there is no thrust from the pump then you need to inspect the propulsion system. Likely causes are something in the intake side of the pump ie ski rope wound up on the driveshaft or trash over the intake grate, damage to the impeller from injesting rocks or worn out bearings in the pump and excessive clearance between the impeller and pump housing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this a problem for a diy or should be taken to certified mechanic and if so at what cost?
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

It is mostly a visual inspection to look for an obvious problem. If you do not know what you are looking for then a shop could do the inspection and estimate for about ! hour labor. Repair cost would depend on what problems were found.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read that sometimes the turbo will seize up and cause the same issues.
Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

If the engine revs to max rpm then that is not the problem.

Expert:  TIMOTO replied 1 year ago.

If you need further assistance you can add a reply. If not, please rate my answer so that I can get credit for assisting you.