Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Have a 81 evinrude outboard motor and I was checking rpm but

Customer Question

have a 81 evinrude outboard motor and I was checking rpm but sure how to use the multimeter and it does have the rpm reading on it
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Is your multimeter automotive? The tach on an outboard engine is driven by the charging system. Typically automotive tachs connect to the ignition coil.

Which is a 12 volt system. The coils on an outboard are high voltage from the power pack.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought it at O'rielly's auto parts
So I can not use this on a boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Nope won't work on this type of ignition system. You will need a tach that reads the pulses of the charging system or an inductive tach that connects to the spark plug wire.