Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I've just gotten my hands on a westerbeke 50, SN 641c112.

Customer Question

Hi! I've just gotten my hands on a westerbeke 50, SN 641c112. I'm off Isla Mujeres in a Brent Swain Steel Bilge Keel Sailboat. Original power was a Volvo md2010 which with 20hp is suffering a bit. Wondering about repowering with the heavier and larger westerbeke with 41hp. Any comments or suggestions? It will fit, but it turns much faster than the volvo and there would be some jiggery pokery to make everything fit...
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my naame is Noel and I will assist you. Yes it can be done and the extra power will not effect the boat. As for the refitting, it should be done by a professional to have everything in good shape. I suggest you get a quote prior to this and ideally check for a Volvo engine as it will be much easier to fit.

Noel