Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1983 90 HP Evinrude that won't turn over with a

Customer Question

I have a 1983 90 HP Evinrude that won't turn over with a fully charged battery connected. The starter acts like I have a dead battery.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to solve your issue.

Do you have a volt meter to test the voltage at the starter when cranking?

We need to do this test to verify where we are loosing voltage. Test the voltage at the starter terminal # ***** then test at the battery cable connection # ***** on the start solenoid. We must have 9.5+ volts when cranking for starter to work correctly.

http://i.imgur.com/8QXDtiD.jpg

If you don't have a volt meter disconnect the battery cable at the start solenoid #6 and touch the cable end to # ***** and 8 does the engine crank? If no the chances are you have a bad battery cable coming from the battery to the engine either negative or positive possibly both. To determine which cable is bad you will need a volt meter.

Post back with questions.