RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

I have a 2004 yahama lx210. This Saturday one motor would

Customer Question

I have a 2004 yahama lx210. This Saturday one motor would stall at 3000 4000 rpm. It did it couple times and now the motor will not turn on at key (almost like it's electrical) at all. I have changed spark plugs, changed oil, gas line filter, checked for debris, and the fuse in the box that runs to the motor in directly. The other motor starts up just fine. I have also stuck my hand in the ports in the back to spin the shafts and they both spin.
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

It is a good thing that the engine in question still turns over. That does pretty much point to an electrical issue.

I am not clear if you "checked" or "changed" the fuse. If you did not change it, the only sure way to check it is to test it. You can either check it for voltage on both ends or with a test light. The point here is do not trust your eyes. This is by far the easiest and quickest check you can make and it would really be unfortunate to go through the rest of the electrical system only to come back to an open fuse that appears to the eye to be "good".

The next thing I would check is whether the safety lanyard, specifically the forked "key" is factory Yamaha. I have seen aftermarket units that flex too much and can cause similar symptoms.

Next on the check list is make sure the safety switch that is under the hatch for the cleanout plugs is being activated properly. They should be wired where the switch on the left controls the left engine and the one on the right controls the right engine. However, if someone has had them unplugged to remove the tray around the cleanout plugs, they could be plugged in crossed left to right. If you have 2 people available, have one person press the switch down as far as possible by hand and see if the engine cranks. Just in case the wiring got crossed, try both the left and right keys so there is no question you have the correct switch pressed.

If we still have a no start we are going to have to go into the electrical box and start checking circuits. You will need a test light and volt ohm meter. Are you prepared to do that?

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the fuse. It has 2 motors and 1 saftey lanyard switch. One motor runs fine. Could this still be the issue? I have checked the saftey switches under hatch and nothing.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Yes, internally it is a double switch. I am very familiar with your boat. Are you using an aftermarket lanyard?

:)

When you say you checked them, does that mean you had one person hold them down while you tried to crank the engine?

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I bought the boat used so I don't know if it's aftermarket. Yes I had someone push them down in the back and I turned key. Sad to say I broke down and took to the shop. They said they could have it looked at Monday. Thanks for your help.