Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I am just reading the post why the stern would not go all

Customer Question

Hi Jason,
I am just reading the post why the stern would not go all the way up. I have a 2004 Bayliner 219 SD with a 5.0 Mercruiser. I recently removed my stern and replaced my gimbal bearing. Now the Stern wont go all the up in Trailer mode. Did i miss anything?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have 2 separate trim and trailer buttons? Or is your trim and trailer button one in the same? (they make them both ways)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Jason, My name is ***** ***** I have the trailer button and Up button in one switch. When i press trailer mode the drive only extends about 2 inches and stops. I have not checked fluid after reinstallation, but i am afraid my shaft joint might not be aligned right ,could that be? If it would just be an electrical issues with the trim switches/contacts that would be an easy fix.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Christopher. Is your trim/trailer button in the shifter handle, or on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is in the shifter handle.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Are you pushing the up button extra hard, until it clicks for a 2nd time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i do, two clicks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it worked fine before i took the drive off, i wanted to know if i might have squished a cable if that is possible?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The only cable in there is the shift cable, and that doesn't have anything to do with the power trim.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The power trim is also strong enough to rip the cable into pieces, so there is no chance of a shift cable issue interfering with the trim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what would you suggest first to do, taking the trim sensor plates off and check inside, or un-mounting the rods and see if they would extend further this way. But i guess i better check the fluid level first, could that be one cause?
I was surprised that the stern would stop like it hit the switch when it was only extended 2 ".
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

When you hold the button in for that 2nd click is the trim motor running? Can you hear it run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trim motor is running all the way until the rods are extended 2 " and then stops.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

When you say then stops,, does it stop lifting, or does the trim motor turn off?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The trim motor turns off.i tried it several times.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

As long as you are positive you are feeling that 2nd click when hitting trim up the problem is going to be a bad trim button.

The way the system works is when you hit trim up, the trim switch in the handle sends power down to the trim limit switch mounted to the gimbal ring, from there it goes to the trim pump motor. When you hit trim up the drive will keep on lifting until it gets to a certain point and then the trim limit switch breaks, stopping the flow of power from the trim switch in the handle to the trim solenoids.

When you hit the trailer button, the trim switch in the handle sends power directly to the trim solenoids, and it bypasses the trim limit switch all together.

Does that make sense to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely, when i pushed the Stern back in after the gimbal bearing installation, could i accidentally damaged a wire that is responsible to the Trailer position?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

No, those wires are all inside the boat. The only ones outside the boat is the trim wires. So lets say you theoretically damaged those. What would happen is if you hit trim up nothing would happen, but if you hit trailer up it would still work. The problem is going to be the trailer button itself

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all right sound pretty simple, I ll check the switch and test continuity to the Solenoid. The only concern is had was because i moved the stern and since then the trailer trim doesnt work, so i ;ll check that and then it should be fine.
On another note i am planning of changing the motor mounts as they are pretty corroded and i am afraid that they will break. What do i need to do first before i start messing with these mounts/
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You would remove the engine to change the mounts. So the sterndrive would come back off. Undo the rear and front mounts. Lift the engine out. From there the mounts are lag bolted into the boats stringers. Remove the lag bolts and the mounts will come out. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i really have to pull the engine out to change the mounts? i dont have a way to do that, cant you just raise the engine to relief the pressure and change on block at at time?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I would, you don't have any real way to see if the stringers are rotted if the engine is still in place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All right, i'll have to check on what to do with that, but thank you for your help.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. What would happen if you tried to do it without pulling the engine is old man murphy would come find you.

Good luck and happy boating!

Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. No rating has been put through yet so I'm just checking in to see if you had any further questions on the issue. Please keep in mind the website has charged you, but they will not compensate me unless you put through a rating. If there was anything else on the issue feel free to ask.
Thanks,
Jason