Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

The operating handle on my 2005 Chaparral Sonesta 216 with a

Customer Question

The operating handle on my 2005 Chaparral Sonesta 216 with a 5-LITER Volvo Penta stern drive.has come completely separated from the body of the control unit an will no longer engage the throttle or shift cables. I cannot figure out how to either remove the handle/lever completely from the body to see what happened; or how to get it reset and secured on the control unit. Can you give me some help with this? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, my name is***** are so many different remote control levers. Can you take a couple of pictures of yours so I can see which one you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well...I am not with my boat right now. It is down at the coast. I will have to get some pics when I go back there in the next week or two. Can you go on hold for now and I will get back with you when I get the pics. I do not think it has a brand name anywhere on it, but I will look carefully when I take the pics. I bought the boat used, and I think the controls are what came with the boat in 2005. George small
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi George, that's no problem, there are no time limits here. Just reply back once you have some pictures and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Roger that. Thanks and I will get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You bet.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi George Just checking in. Any luck with the pictures?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason...I won't be going down to the coast until the 23rd. I will get you some pics by the end of next week.
George small
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason...how do I send pictures of my throttle/shifter unit to yuou?? George small
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
28 September 2015 09:57
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi George. You should see a button that says "add files". You would click on that and then attach the pictures.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have some pics but cannot get them to attach to this. Is there an email I can send them to you?? George small
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. That is a Teleflex sl3. Unfortunately I do not have the instrucitons for that one. I will opt out and leave this open to the other guys.

Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The easiest thing to do with these and that problem is to remove the control from the boat and get it on a work bench, typically with this type of problem it isnt just that the nut/bolt came loose but that it is worn or snapped off. In some cases the cost of parts and dealing with other worn components and you may find it cheaper and or easier to replace the entire control vs repair and or if damaged and not repairable as not all parts are available in some cases.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.