Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

My boat engine failed due to an overheating problem while

Customer Question

Hi Jason, My boat engine failed due to an overheating problem while 150 mi from my home port. About to have new engine installed. Insurance company covering cost($8,400 total incl. tax plus $2000 for diagnostics, haul out, starter initially) An incidental
finding on the other engine were rust stains wh. are attributed to a failing fuel modulator. The repair estimate for replacement is $2200. That would be an out of pocket cost wh is not in my budget. Taking the 2 jobs into consideration, do you think there
a is room for negotiation. I like to be fair but naturally like to get the most value and not be 'held over a barrel'. (2006 Bayliner 325, twin eng) Thanks, Norm
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Norm, it looks like Jason is not available so I'd like to help you if I can. I guess I'm a little confused when you say you have rust stains from the fuel module. The fuel module is not available for your engine as a unit any more, but the fuel pump and cooler are as an updated part. So if the cooler is leaking, that should all that is needed to repair it and the part retails under $500. So I really don't see how they came up with $2200. Did they give you a specific parts/labor breakdown on that repair?