Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan I have a sailing boat with a 29hp volvo engine. The

Customer Question

Hi Tan
I have a sailing boat with a 29hp volvo engine. The batteries are charging fine from the shore power but not at all from the engine. The batteries have been checked and are showing they are fine although they discharge after only about 3 hours. The altinator has also been checked and is also showing to be in working order. Do you have any ideas on what the problem could be?
Regards, Simon
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Simon.

This will take more than one reply to solve your issue.

We need to check the wiring. We need to make sure the alternator is delivering voltage to the batteries. With the engine running check the voltage on the large terminal of the alternator is it reading 12+ volts with engine running? If no we need to check that the large terminal has a wire that connects to the battery connection on the starter.

We also need to make sure the alternator is getting the voltage to turn the alternator on.

Now I need to know the make and model of your engine and the alternator.

Post back with findings and info on the engine and alternator.