Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I just tried to start my 1999, 9.9 hp shaft 2 stroke kicker

Customer Question

I just tried to start my 1999, 9.9 hp long shaft 2 stroke kicker motor that I bought about 6 months ago. It is in excellent condition with about 40 hours on it. It has not been started for about two years. A friend of our water sport club helped me. He once owned a similiar motor and said he wished he still had it as it worked very well. We primed the gas, as he rememberd ( I have no manual).. WE TRIED EVERYTHING WE COULD THINK OF. iT HAD A WEAK SPARK. BUT IT SEEMED MORE LIKE IT WAS NOT GETTING GAS. CHECKED THE GAS HOSE AND DECLARED ok after replacing a missing hose clamp. Thought it was leaking air as hardness of squeeze primer bulb would soften after pulls on the starter rope. It would sound like it was almost going to start after a few put puts, We were afraid to force the fuel filter as the plastic housing might break so we did not get its housing off to inspect weather it was gummed. American Marine is about 1 mile away. WHERE CAN I GET AN OPERATORS MANUAL for a 9.9 , 2 stroke made 1999. We need this motor for our club maintenance boat.
Duke in Dubuque.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. As for the oil fuel mixture if it is a 1999 model it is a 100:1 fuel to oil ratio. Regarding the fuel filter inside the motor, pull it out and it will come out from the cranking part, then unsrcew it and clean it, you will not break the plastic transparent bowl. As for the difficult starting, since the engine has been sitting for 2 yrs, then most probably the carb would require cleaning and ideally rebuilt as it may have blocked jets. If the priming jets get blocked it will be almost impossible to start.

The correct procedure is as follows:

Pull the priming round lever out for 3-4 times and leavg is still ie it out Then pull the pull start and if the engine carb is clean and spark is ok it should start with the first to third pull.

If anything is still unclear please post back. It really is a good engine i own one myself and would not exchange it with a brand new one.

Noel