RSRBOB
RSRBOB, Technician
Experience:  Former Yamaha Factory Service Rep, Dlr Line Tech, Serv Mgr, G/M
10825618

My Yamaha jet boat sunk(; I pushed the water out and filled

Customer Question

my Yamaha jet boat sunk(; I pushed the water out and filled the cylinders with oil and pumped that out to keep it from corroding ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

The best thing you can do is pump as much water out of the engine as you can by cranking it over with the spark plugs out. Once it has pumped about as much water out of it as it looks like its going to, try to start it and get it running. Typically what you should expect is it to start and run for a brief period of time, then quit. You will need to pull the spark plugs out and dry them off, put them back in and repeat. Expect to do this a half dozen times or so, with each successive attempt letting the engine run longer and longer. Once it starts running for 15 seconds, be ready to turn the water on in the flush system so it doesn't overheat. Getting the engine running will get all of the water out of where it shouldn't be and get oil and gas where it should be to prevent further corrosion. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks

RSRBOB