Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Just purchased a 2014 StarCraft 2009 Coastal Deck boat with

Customer Question

Just purchased a 2014 StarCraft 2009 Coastal Deck boat with 150 HP Yamaha Outboard. 80 hours on motor, boat looks new. Problem with steering, at slow speed the boat zig zags down the river.... feels like there is a lot of slop in steering. At 10 plus the boat steers straight but hard to turn left or right. Have driven may bass boats but first time with hydraulic steering. Any clues?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Zig zagging at low speeds is normal. The problem there is you are turning the wheel to much attempting to get a quick course correction from the boat. Steering as a whole works because a fluid pushes against a rudder. When the fluid is moving past the rudder to slowly, the boat hull will be slow to react to course corrections. So when you drive the boat at slow speeds, do not turn the wheel as much as you are, and learn to anticipate course corrections ahead of time. And the boat will steer straighter for you.

That being said. If there is something else wrong, if there is steering slop, or if the outboard is not mounted correctly then that will only make the problem worse. Is there any slop in the steering? This should be a warranty issue, what has the dealer said to you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the email reply, the only thing I saw in the email was the first sentence ... I was over steering. I am Joe the owner and there is slop in this steering. When planning off at about 20 MPH it is extremely hard to turn the boat left or right. If it was mounted at a slant (had that on a new boat in 1987) it will pull to the right or left. I am pretty sure it is something to do with the hydraulics. It should be a pleasure to drive this boat but it's not. I bought the boat in Miami but I live in South Carolina. The dealer tried to transfer the warranty with StarCraft but that is something I have to do at a dealership.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Joe,

I will copy and paste my last reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is what I wrote in my last reply. Is the wheel hard to turn with the boat not moving?

Also, are you positive you have hydraulic steering and not mechanical?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, just checking in. Did you still have questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet in order to credit me for helping you out. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,

Jason