K. Kergan
K. Kergan, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  24 yrs exp. Inboard/Outboard mechanic Mercury/ Mercruiser, Volvo Penta and OMC, Johnson/Evin.
13730749

Kerry! Mercruiser ALPHA 1 had a nice shifting alpha 1 but

Customer Question

Kerry! Mercruiser ALPHA 1 had a nice shifting alpha 1 but noise was coming from between engine and lower unit. Removed out drive to replace gimble bearing,seal,drive shaft bellows, EX bellows,raw water hose,shift cable bellows,new shift cable,all new O-rings & gasket. U-Joints.
re-installed as per MERC. manual. Have attempted adjusting shift cable as per manual several times til frustrated. Cannot get a positive reverse. Even by manually moving shift cable by hand? I can get a positive forward gear manually. But do not get a positive reverse? and in neutral position I still get a clicking like it is partially engaged in a gear?
Category: Boat
Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.

HI, is it possible that the shift shoe is plugged onto the lower shift shaft on the wrong spline.

Here is a diagram,

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercruiser/1988/5010132AR/BELL%20HOUSING/parts.html

The shift shoe is number 22 in the diagram, when you put the upper and lower housings together, the shoe must

face forward with the lower unit solidly in forward gear. It seems to me it would be difficult to install if that were the case.

The part number 25 in the diagram is a lever with a roller on the end of it, this roller may not be in the slot in the cable slider.

It's possible for this to fall out of place while installing the drive, especially if the shift cable is not connected inside the boat.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.

Here is another diagram,

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc/Mercruiser/1988/5010132AR/TRANSOM%20PLATE%20AND%20SHIFT%20CABLE/parts.html

The slider is number 31 in the diagram, the roller on the lever #25 in the last diagram must be in the slot of the slider.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.

To check it, you need to unbolt the drive and pull it back enough to see. The boat and the drive need to be in forward gear.

Expert:  K. Kergan replied 1 year ago.

Have you dealt with this or do you still need help?