Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 1985 Mariner 90 hp. when cranking over the engine

Customer Question

I have a 1985 Mariner 90 hp. when cranking over the engine the starter kicks out. Most of the time after about 2 revolutions when it tries to fire. It is very pain full to start. We installed new starter, solenoid , cleaned all connections and using a
new battery. The stator is malfunctioning at this time but the starting problem occurred before the stator problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. So to start your engine, the procedure is the following. With the key in the on position, push the key in 3-4 times, and you should hear a ticking sound with every push. THat is the primer solenoid. If that does not sound then that is the problem with the starting. After pushing in the key , pull up the throttle lever or in your case most probably you have to push the button to apply throttle only and try to start. If the engine is hard to start with this procedure, i suggest you start by cleaning the carbs and have a compression test of all cylinders. They should be around 100 psi.

If you require further assistance let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The choke solenoid is functioning properly. The problem is the starter is kicking out it is like the starter drive is malfunctioning but i replaced the starter.The starter used to be able to turn over indefinitely or until the battery gave out. I have owned this boat since 1990 .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
compression is 120 to 125, carbs are very clean,

ok what about the teeth of the flywheel? have you checked if maybe you have some damaged teeth or worn?

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the teeth on flywheel have a bit of wear. no missing or gouged teeth

I think the problem is from there then as if the starter will find a free part it will disengage