Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My 1994 bravo 3 outdrive carrier bearing wont come out. i

Customer Question

my 1994 bravo 3 outdrive carrier bearing wont come out. i know they turn clock wize to loosen. used penetrating oil but no good . I have the proper tool too but tight as can be ? someone said to heat up but worried about that
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** will assist you today.

Have you lifted the tab on the washer that locks the nut inplace?

The nut is CounterClockwise to remove.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Charles , the carrier bearing doesnt look to have a lock washer or tab ? its a 1994 bravo 3 dual prop. I bought the tool that has the 4 tabs that insert into the bearing for removal.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

That is the correct tool, the nut is still CCW to remove. It is torqued to 210 Ftlbs so you need a long breaker bar to get it loose. It is easier to get to loose it still attached to the boat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is a nut ? there doesnt look as if theres anything holding the carrier in.... it looks as if the carrier bearing is screwed directly into the housing ? the carrier is round and appears flush to the housing..there isnt a nut that can be wrenched ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i see that its a round nut ? how do i put a wrench on it ? i just went outside to take a look and if its the nut, its completely smooth..thanks for all your help..im so frustrated with this
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The tool fits inside it. Then go CCW to remove it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i think i understand.. the tool fits inside that nut . to loosen turn it counterclockwise. the carrier itself the turn clockwise to come out once that nut comes off. is there a tool once the nut comes off to turn the carrier bearing out ?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Should be the same tool.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will try tomorrow and touch base if your available..Thank you and good nite
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

I will come online around 10 AM CST ans should be here all day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hey Charles , there is no locking tab or nut to turn clock wise. I TRIED AS YOU SAID AND NOW THE LOWER GEar case cracked its a 1994 bravo 3 on the outdrive top gear case is serial no OF264420 can you tell me what gear ratio it is as I have to get a new lower unit. Also can you recommend someone to buy it from ? thanks Al
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Dang, the metal there had to be thin to crack when trying to remove the carrier. The ratio of the drive is 2.00:1. This is the latest part number for it.

Where did the housing crack?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RIGHT FROM THE AREA WHERE THE CARRIER BEARING MEETS THE HOUSING. THE CRACK TRAVELED STRAIGHT FORWARD TO ALMOST HALF WAY TO THE FRONT OF THE DRIVE. DOES THE GEAR RATIO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LOWER UNIT ? nOT SURE IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE AND THOUGHT THE TOP GEAR HOUSE IS WHERE THE RATIO IS SET.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The top is where the ration is set. The bottom for a gas engine only has one set of gears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK THANKS ***** TO GET A GOOD DEAL ON ONE ? ALSO I SEE THAT THERE IS MANY LISTINGS FOR 1995 BRAVO 3 AND NEWER ON EBAY BUT NONE FOR A 1994 ? DOES THE YEAR MAKE A DIFFERENCE. THANKS
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Look for the part number that I sent. It did sub up from an A20 to the G09.

1656-8866G09