Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have an evinrude 28:- early 90,s. Under load it seems like

Customer Question

I have an evinrude 28:- early 90,s . Under load it seems like it's starving for fuel then cuts out.New gas.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This may take more than one reply to solve your issue.

Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb when the engine starts to cut out? Did the engine run better? The other test is to choke the engine when it starts to act up. Does engine run better?

If the engine runs better squeezing the primer bulb you have a failing fuel pump or a restriction in the boat side fuel system. To determine which run the engine on another fuel tank. If engine runs better you have a restriction in the boat side fuel system. If no change then you have a failing fuel pump.

If the engine runs better when choking the engine the carburetors are the problem. Remove carbs, disassemble, clean and install carb kits.

Then finally to be sure we don't have a misfire use a timing light to check for spark on both cylinders. Connect the timing light to the top cylinder run engine till it acts up while watching the flash of the timing light. You should have a steady flash of the light if no misfire then move the the bottom cylinder. If you find a misfire on either cylinder swap the misfiring cylinder with the other ignition coil. If the misfire moves then you have a bad ignition coil if it stays we have a bad power pack or a bad timer base. To determine which switch the timer base wires with each other if the misfire moves then the timer base is bad if it stays then the power pack is bad.

These tests and checks will lead you to your issue.

If not please feel free to post back with findings and questions.

Thank you.......Tan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It has a new carb kit in it, tank and lines are new. I turned the jet in the brass collar 1/2 turn counter clockwise and it seems better, but I'm not sure if that is fuel to oil ratio?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what to do at lake of the woods.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

That jet is only for idle. The intial setting is 1.5 turns from lightly seated. So turn jet in till it seats then turn counter closkwise 1.5 turns. Then when you have the bpoat in the water fine tune that adjustment to achieve the best idle.

So since you have new carb rebuild and new fuel tank and fuel hose that leaves the engine sucking air or a bad fuel pump if fuel related. If you have a spark issue you need to do the tests I posted to determine which. So we have the squeezing of the primer bulb test and the timing light test.

If you have the quick disconnect on the engine bypass it and connect fuel hose directly to the fuel filter on the engine. If engine runs better then you have an air leak at the fuel connector.

What is Lake of the woods?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lake of the woods is the walleye capital of the world.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Is that preventing you from doing the primer bulb test or the timing light test? We have narrowed the issue down to fuel pump, fuel line connector or spark issue.

What would you like for me to do to help beyond the tests I have provided?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I had a timing light on it this spring and all was good. But I will check the fuel hook up. Thank you very much! It's the kicker on a larger boat and I don't want to get 40 miles off shore without it running properly. Thanks for Your time and expertise.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.........Thank you....Tan

Follow up with any questions if have something in question about any of the procedures.

I think your going to find a bad fuel connector or a failing fuel pump. This is just from all the things you have eliminated.

Please don't forget to positively rate me as that is the only way I get paid for helping you.

Thank you...........Tan