Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have 2007 4 stroke 15 hp ( i kno its a suzuki) if i leave

Customer Question

I have 2007 4 stroke 15 hp johnson ( i kno its a suzuki) if i leave a little choke on it runs smoother,,Whats up??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

If it runs better with the choke on what is going on is the carb has a little bit of debris in it, and it is just starting to show the signs of clogging up.

All engines need a specific ratio of fuel to air. To much or to little of either and the engine runs poorly. On your engine there is not enough fuel because of the clogging. So when you choke it, what that does is it restricts air, which brings the overall fuel/air ratio closer to where it is supposed to be. If the carb was not clogged, choking it would make it run worse, not better.

The fix is going to be to have the carb rebuilt. On the smaller ones they are impossible to get clean by hand, and they need to go into an ultrasonic machine to get them spotless on the inside. The way I do them in the shop is first they go in a parts washer to knock off any external dirt. Followed by a hot water rinse. Then I disassemble the carb and remove the fuel jets, throw all of it in a heated ultrasonic machine for 45 minutes. Pull it out and give it another hot water rinse. Blow everything dry with a blow gun. An then reassemble with a new carb gasket kit.

That is the problem and how it gets fixed. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason