Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a 2003 GXi 4.3 that quite on the lake a few weeks

Customer Question

i have a 2003 GXi 4.3 that quite on the lake a few weeks ago. it would idle real slow and rough and stall if you gave it any gas. i replaced the High Pres fuel pump. That seemed to make the diference - starts right up. but hav gas in the exaust, visible on the water and can smell it. i then replaced the presure reg today but same results. any ideas? i have not checked the presures.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Have you checked engine compression yet?

When was the last time the engine had a complete tune up? Cap rotor, plugs, wires ect?

When you say you replaced the high pressure fuel pump, did you replace just the pump or did you replace the entire fuel cell?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is no loss of power, if I had asked about power loss I could see the compression check answer. I see no relation to compression and gas coming out the exhaust.plugs and wires are not going to stop gas from poring out the exhaust.the boat went from not running to running with the replacement of the high pressure pump and new gas filter. I replaced the pressure regulator from an answer I saw on this site for this same symptom, that seemed to make sense at the time. but made no difference in my circumstance. I have a very obvious smell and colorful sheen of gas on the water while running.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You seem to know more than I do. And this has not got off to a good start. I will call it quits. Good luck at the dealer. they are 100+ an hour plus backed up for weeks this time of year. But i'm sure they can squeeze you in.

Happy boating!

Jaosn

Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my suspicion is that you have sticking fuel injectors. The Volvo injectors are very prone to contamination (although they all are now) and this can cause extra fuel flow, which will make the engine run okay at cruise, but will make it idle poorly and run rich (fuel from exhaust). In some cases you can have them cleaned, if not then replacement will be necessary. If you want to verify before removing them take a fuel pressure reading and watch the pressure as you shut down the engine. If it drops rapidly, it is likely leaking injectors.