Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I'm trying to rewire the ignition switch on an older '87

Customer Question

I'm trying to rewire the ignition switch on an older '87 ranger with a 175 dfi merc. I have red direct from battery on the B post black direct from battery on the M post. Black with yellow stripe on magneto (raised M post) yellow with red stripe on C yellow with black stripe on S post purple and white to A post. Followed how it was before question is should accessories like the horn work with just the wires to battery. Does this look correct. Still no power. Kill switch is plugged in.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Remove the yellow/black wire, that is the choke the opti does not have one. Put the yellow/red wire on the S post. That is start. Place the purple on the I post.

The horn should work when the master power switch is turned on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still doesn't work
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Have you tested for power on the engine.. Make sue that you have 12V at the starte solenoid. Then that you have 12V when the key is tuned to start

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
power to all. replaced ignition switch still nothing
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

If you are getting 12V to the yellow/red wire when the key is turned to start and the starter is not working. You either have a missing ground on the solenoid, a failed solenoid or a bad starter.