Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 23 foot MSCH I CONDOR the engine is 475 ci. /

Customer Question

I have a 23 foot MSCH I CONDOR the engine is 475 ci. / 550-600 HP. the outdrive is a Merc. Alpha I. The hull is a deep V, design is a closed cuddy cab. There are no trim tabs. My question regarding Hydrofoil attachment to the outdrive. in the past, I have had great success with various hydrofoils, yielding greater speed and economy. What is the official opinion regarding the use of Hydrofoils and, which size and or design is the best suited for my boat. I usually travel at higher speeds, in lakes and Traveling relatively long distances between widely dispersed Marinas (fuel stops). My average cruising speeds are from 45 mph to 75 mph. Will you be so kind to advise or recommend the Hydrofoil best suited to my needs
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Here is the most widely used Hydrofoil. This one I have used in many different applications and it performs well in all applications. Now the hydrofoil on you boat is needed at lower speeds and once you get to higher speeds it isn't in the water enough to affect high speed performance. So it won't diminish your top end performance.

The purpose is to give you quicker out of the hole shot and quicker planning times.

The model you want for your application is the Senior XPI. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/stingray-hydrofoils--xpi-hydrofoils--P006_189_002_508

In my opinion these are great for low end performance getting on plane and quicker hole shots. As for full throttle and high speed they don't do much as the boat rides higher in the water and the cavitation plate isn't doing much. So the hydrofoil being bolted to the cavitation plate it will not slow top end performance.

There are many different versions of the hydrofoil this is the one I like the best.

Post back with questions and concerns.