Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Have a 1988 Cobalt AQ 217 C Volvo Penta DP (converted to

Customer Question

Have a 1988 Cobalt AQ 217 C Volvo Penta DP (converted to 1995) MPFI GM system).
Recently just after replacng the u-joints in the outdrive the engine will not accelerate over 1200 rpm just dies. In neutral can rev the engine no problem.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Do you have the actual model number on the engine? (there is no such thing as an aq 217)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John my name is ***** ***** it is the AQ 217
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
AQ 271 seems my typing is not awake yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thought I had could the rev limter be the problem.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryce,

A 271 is a carbureted engine. You said MPFI... is the engine no longer original?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I modified it over 10 years ago, it is basically a gm era 1990's MPFI HEI open loop system, very simple.
Been running great ever since this year. This just started after I put it in the water (had to replace the u-joints in the drive shaft)
and it took awhile. Just strange it starts and idles great it goes fine in idle and up to 1200 1500 rpm then when you open it up it just bogs down.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Is it actually port fuel injected (PFI) with 8 injectors? Or is it a TBI system, with a throttle body injection unit that sort of looks like a carburetor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 injectors and the throttle bode is basically as TBI that has the injectors removed. I bought the system from Affordable Fuel Injection in Michigan.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Step 1 would be measuring fuel pressure to see if it I maintaining somewhere in the low 40's, or if it is dropping. Is that something you can do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the tools to do this, My hobby has been working on cars (and my boat) for a long time. Should this be done under load?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It would have to be done with the boat in the water and at the highest speed it will go. What you want to do is see if the fuel pressure holds 40+ as it stalls. Or if fuel pressure drops right down as it stalls. Do that and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will be back at you later then thanks.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. Any progress?