Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I just put my volvo Penta 4.3 ltr on a 18.5 glass craft into

Customer Question

I just put my volvo Penta 4.3 ltr on a 18.5 glass craft into my local lake and was heading to the cottage when I noticed I was taking on water i opened up the engine compartment and found water squirting out from where the engine meets the stern drive, leg inside the engine compartment and filling my well and storage bay. It was squirting a fair and steady gush under load and not squirting when idling.It would be right where the block bolts to the sterndrive it started fine had no issues last weekend. My bilge pump was continuously running one month ago so I disconnected it to save the battery and was going to deal with that when I winterized the boat as I am pretty far away from any boat mechanics up here in Canada. Thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Did you happen to stick your hand down in there and see if the water was warm, or cold?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You are speaking with Steve, thanks for responding the water was lukewarm. The water was squirting out at a medium pressure above the water pump between the connection of sterndrive to the block
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

Can you be more specific by what you man by "above the water pump between the connection of sterndrive to the block"

The water pump is on the front of the engine, not the back. Do you mean that "height wise" the leak is higher than where the water pump is?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have added a photo it is coming out below the blue cap that is pictured.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shit the blue cap on the left side of photo
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Does the engine have power steering?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I ask because if it does, they stick the power steering cooler back there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does have power steering, i'm wondering if I possibly poped
Out a block plug are those standard with this year of engine? Or because my Bilge pump was continuously running would it be the bellows ?? The engine would heat up that's what originally caught my attention and when I brought the revs up over 4000 it would start cooling down anyway that I've blocked a hose boat is in really good shape as well as the engine and ran terrific last week
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

If it does have a power steering the coolers are prone to rot and also crack.

But if you did not have one.... Or if it was okay, the next place I would look at is the block core plugs. There are 15 of them or so, all over the bock. And the ones that like to pop out are the ones that are installed into the rear of the block, behind the flywheel.

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Click this link to pull up a picture. On his one here, you can see the center one is in place, but the 2 off to the side, are missing.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/35020.jpg

It's usually one of those 3 that pops out. Does that make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Unforunately what you are going to have to do is pull the engine back out and run it on land to confirm the leak. And then after that, remove the bellhousing and flywheel to fix it.

Do you have any further questions on the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately that's not really where the water is seems to be spraying out it's more like the empty screw hole to the right-hand side of the green screw
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I wouldn't know exactly where it's leaking without seeing it myself. If there is an empty screw hole can't you put a bolt in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The water is coming out below the exhaust pipe at the bottom of the engine where the only Gray paint is bottom left side upside down v
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It could be the exhaust pipe. If that is loose the gasket will not hold. And it will leak between the bottom of the exhaust pipe and the transom plate. Those are known to leak.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But there's no exhaust pipe there its below it to the right that grey v on that image I sent to you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I don't know without seeing it. I will opt out. Good luck.