Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

My son has a 2007 mercury 225 hp xl. We bought it 2 yrs ago.

Customer Question

My son has a 2007 mercury 225 hp xl. We bought it 2 yrs ago. It ran well at 5600 to 5800 rpms. New power head with 50 hrs when we bought it. It has the smart gauges. It set up a few months with Stabil in the tank. When we ran it last month it would run fine with plenty of power up to 4200 rpm then it would hesitate and sputter try to shut down when throttling up from 4200 never exceeded 42k. It was taken to a dealer and they replaced the high pressure fuel pump. Now it will be at 4200 at full throttle and can't exceed 4200 because it is physically at full throttle. We replaced 2 coils and a set of wires and plugs since the number 2 and 6 plugs were wet and a carboned up with no change. Haven't done a compression test yet and was surprised to find out the dealer didn't do one. If you do exceed 4200 by trimming it up the rev light comes on.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Did replacing the coils take care of the wet plugs?

Is this engine an optimax?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is an optimax
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Great,

Are you getting any alarms on the gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is my son's boat and he don't remember the alarms. I know he got a high Rev when he was in neutral and reed to 29k. He said the max Rpm while running was 47k while trimming up. He said their were other alarms but didn't write them dow. He will be in the water tomorow and will right them down.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Let me know.

Was 4700 all that it would do when running correctly? That is not real good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll let him know and we will let you know tomorow
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. I will be online all day tomorrow and Monday.