Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

My out drive is starting act up. The switch on the throttle

Customer Question

My out drive is starting act up. The switch on the throttle is barely moving the out drive up or down. The gauge suddenly stop working.
The switch on the rear deck works fine
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry the trim on for my out drive
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will be a bad trim switch or low voltage to the trim switch on the control.

Check the voltage on the trim switch on the control when activating the trim switch what is your voltage reading. If low voltage the switch plugs into the trim pump with as round 3 pin plug. Remove plug and check connections. The other test you can do at the trim switch is to jump the red to the blue and green wires on the switch does trim work better? If yes the switcvh is bad if not then you have a bad connection or a bad wire.

Here are the instructions for removing the control handle. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JA/jacksparrow1956/2012-12-16_193453_commander_3000_handle_removal.jpg

As for the trim gauge this will be the trim sender # ***** stbd side on the gimbal ring for the drive. It will have to be replaced.http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/Alpha%20One%20Gen%20II%20%28Drive%20%26%20Transom%29/0L100040%20%26%20Up%20%281998%20AND%20UP%29/GIMBAL%20RING%20AND%20STEERING%20LEVER/parts.html

Post back with questions and concerns.