Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Ihave a Bf150Honda. 2005. It will power down if rpm goes

Customer Question

Ihave a Bf150Honda. 2005. It will power down if rpm goes above 4200. I turn off key and can restart right away. I have good water flow and no oil pressure problems. this has been going on for several months. Could it be a faulty sender or thernostat?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

That sounds more like fuel starvation, and that the engine is starving for fuel.

There are a lot of things that can cause that. Blockage in the tank, clogged anti-siphon valve (if equipped) weak fuel pumps, clogged filters. Where I would start is first run the engine off of a portable fuel tank and see if it has the same problem or not. If it does not, there is some kind of blockage issue in the tank. If it does, the problem is on the engine, and from there I would start by changing the fuel filters and cleaning out the inside of the engines vapor separating tank.

Does that all make sense? If yes, did you have any further questions on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello, just checking in. The website has charged you but no rating has been put through yet. I wanted to make sure I got all your questions on this issue answered. Did you have any further questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason