Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 15MSHX 1998 Model. It's been a great engine, but

Customer Question

I have a 15MSHX 1998 Model. It's been a great engine, but it's developed a fuel problem.
When you pump the fuel line bulb fuel shoots out of the carb. I would like to get an idea
of what the problem is before taking it to a shop.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

What is happening here is the inlet needle # ***** in the carburetor isn't seating anymore. When you squeeze the primer bulb the needle not seating is causing the carburetor to fill with more fuel than it can handle and squirts out any port it can. The inlet needle controls the amount of fuel allowed into the carburetor. So with the needle not functioning correctly it floods the carb. This will also cause engine performance issues. Stalling or not starting. If you do get oit started it will eventually die from to much fuel. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/1999/15MSHX/CARBURETOR/parts.html

The fix is to remove the carburetor, disassemble, clean and install a carb kit.

This will solve any issues you are having.

Post back with questions and concerns.

Thank you......Tan