Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1190 Evinrude 200HP on a 201 Pro stratos boat. It

Customer Question

I have a 1190 Evinrude 200HP on a 201 Pro stratos boat. It has carbureators and uses a lot of gas. For several years now it cranks, idles and runs fine but would only tach 4500 RPMs. Now it is slow to plane out and sometimes won't plane out and only tachs 4000 RPMs max. The VRO pump is good and every cylinder is hitting according to a spark tester from plug wire to spark plug. I changed plugs also. Could you please assist me with this problem?
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it is a 1990 rather than 1190
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello Wayne. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to solve your issue.

The first test we need to perform is a compression test of all the cylinders. The compression must be 80+ psi with no more than 15% difference between cylinders.

There are a couple of tests you can do to eliminate the fuel; system as a possible cause of your issue. When you get up to full throttle squeeze the primer bulb> Does the engine run better? If no change push the choke when at full throttle. Does the engine run better?

Another test that will require a timing light connect the timing light to # ***** cylinder run boat to full throttle watch the flash of the timing light. The flash should be steady with no dead spots. Do this test on all cylinders. If you find a misfire swap that cylinders ignition coil with a known good firing cylinder. If the misfire moves then you have a bad coil. If the misfire stays you have another ignition component that will require further testing with a peak reading volt meter.

Do these checks and post back with findings. This will lead us to a cause of the engine issue.

These tests are necessary to determine the cause of your engines loss of performance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
already tried this and no findings to resolve issue. If you try choking, it floods out. Do not have a test tank and test wheel, so cannot do timing light connect without these.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok The tests you can't perform are the possible cause of your engine issue. That is the purpose of the tests. I have done the timing light test on the water with a friend driving the boat. You can only have one of 3 thing cause the issue. Spark, fuel or compression. We have eliminated the carbs as the choke causes the engine to stall. Now what about the squeezing of the primer bulb and compression. Have you done either of these checks?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The way I do the timing light test is to connect the timing light to # ***** cylinder. Have a friend drive the boat while you watch the flash of the light. You don't need to check timing we are only interested in the flash of the light. If flash is good on that cylinder. Stop the boat move the light to the next cylinder. Run the boat check the flash of the light. Do this till you have checked all cylinders.

Do you follow this procedure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried all these things as suggested in the Evinrude Manual that we have. Is there anything else you can suggest?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Did you do the timing light test? You just told me you couldn't do the timing light test. So which is you did it or you can't do the timing light test.

Also did you do a compression test you have told me if you have or haven't? When a customer tells me he has tried everything that doesn't leave me with much to go by and why ask the question if you have already done everything I have ask.

I will opt out since you have done everything and have come up with no results. You must have missed something. I have been working on marine engines for over 40 years and have always found something.

Good luck.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Post back with all the things you have actually checked. What were the results of the compression test?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did compression test-all cylinders held within 2 lbs +/- of 90 lbs of pressure. Did timing light test and all cylinders were firing with no missfires. Still only 4300 rpm. What next?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Have you done either of these tests? There are a couple of tests you can do to eliminate the fuel system as a possible cause of your issue. When you get up to full throttle squeeze the primer bulb. Does the engine run better? If no change push the choke when at full throttle. Does the engine run better?

Have you tried a different tachometer. Could the tach be reading the rpms incorrectly?

We have eliminated spark and compression leaving a fuel issue as the problem or the tach is incorrect.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The engine requires 3 things to run correctly. Spark, compression and fuel. Since you have eliminated 2 of possibles issue that leaves fual as the only thing it can be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When you squeeze the primer bulb or choke it, it floods out and almost dies at full throttle. I have checked the tachometer with the speed on my gps.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Has the engine ever run to full throttle?

Did you check spark at full throttle with the timing light? Have you checked the timing at full throttle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine has turned 6000 rpms for years. I have checked timing light and timing at full throttle. All cylinders were firing with no missfires.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

I don't know what to check now as you have all the things that are required for the engine to turn up full rpm. I will opt out.

If another expert has any clues they will reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get a refund of the initial fee?