Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a brand new minnkota terrova and the first time I

Customer Question

Hi I have a brand new minnkota terrova and the first time I tried to use it on the lake it would run for maybe a minute then it just kicks itself off, could it be a bad battery?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

If the motor is a 12V motor, a bad battery would make it shut off. If it is a 24 or 36V, one bad battery would only make it slower.

since it is just dying, you will need to have the head off of the motor while you run it, when it stops, test the voltage on the red and black wires while having the motor on Const, high speed, if you have full voltage there, it is the motor that is bad. If you do not, it could be the remote or the power supply in the boat.