Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I had to jump start my 2004 215 yesterday but ran it couple

Customer Question

I had to jump start my 2004 215 yesterday but ran it for a couple hours. It started today. I turned it off and when I went to start it again it was hard to start. I did not want to flood it so i turned off the key and let it sit a while. When I tried again it would not even turn over. The ignition switch needs tightened i know. no blown fuses or loose connections. any ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This will take more than one reply to resolve your issue.

When you say hard to start do you mean the engine turns over slow or the engine just won't fire up?

Do the gauges come on when you turn the key on? Is the kill lanyard attached?

Do you have a volt meter to do some voltage tests?

Could I get the engine model and serial number please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The gauges function and the kill switch was not active. It turned over just ran rough at first. Volt meter was reading 13 when running. it is a 2004 mercruiser 5 liter. I do not have the serial number right now as it is nighttime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have the manual as it is in my former home with my ex wife to be
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

You say the engine won't start now? Will it turn over but not fire up now?

When I say a volt meter for testing I mean a hand held meter to do some voltage tests.

When was the last time you had the engine tuned up and the fuel filters changed?

We can figure this out if you have a volt meter to do the testing. We need to have specific voltage to the starter and the ignition coil. I will also need the engine serial number.

I do work every day so if you want to do the testing during the day that is fine with me. We can even talk on the phone if we need to.

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

I will be on tomorrow from 9 am PST till 7 pm PST.